CIT Is a Safe, Cost–Effective Treatment for Stretch Marks, Acne Scars, and Wrinkles
What do wrinkles, stretch marks, and acne scarring have in common? These are all conditions which have been frustrating physicians and patients in their inability to be effectively treated. Now, at last, a new, non–ablative and effective treatment is available. Not a laser or a deep chemical peel, this exciting option is called Collagen Induction Therapy. CIT is a simple procedure that requires minimal downtime (no more than four to seven days) and produces significant, measurable, and sustainable results.
The principle behind Collagen Induction Therapy is simple: to stimulate the body’s own production of collagen, thereby reducing wrinkles and improving skin texture. When it is applied to the skin, topical anesthesia, a sterile roller with very fine needles, or just a fine needle is used to create many microscopic channels deep into the dermis of the skin, which stimulate your own body to produce new collagen.
These channels also improve the penetration of vitamin A and C creams about 1,000 times. Vitamins A and C stimulate skin renewal, thereby making the skin appear fresher and younger. Results last as long as 5–10 years or more. Collagen Induction Therapy can typically cause the following results in your skin:
- Soften fine lines and wrinkles
- Contribute towards skin thickening
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars and other depressed scars on the body and help improve stretch marks.
WHAT IS MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING?
For skin micro-needling, we use an electric skin needling device made especially for this purpose. The device is pen-shaped and studded with 9 to 12 very fine needles. It is a medical device used in micro needling to break down old scar tissue and to stimulate skin cells to proliferate. This cell multiplication results in the formation of new tissue layers of elastin and collagen fibers as well as in new capillaries for an improved blood supply.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN BE TREATED OR IMPROVED WITH MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING?
- Mild to moderate acne scarring; any new or old scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles;
- Loose, lax skin;
- Skin texture and pore size
- Stretch marks
HOW DOES MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING WORK?
The device slides along the skin, penetrating the upper layers of the skin to a depth of up to 2mm to create numerous tiny needle wounds. The procedure prompts the body to respond through the creation of new collagen and elastin fibers. In response to the stimulus, the skin plumps and thickens, reducing the appearance of scars, fine lines, and wrinkles.
WHAT DOES THE PROCEDURE INVOLVE?
The skin is cleaned and numbing cream may be applied to lessen discomfort. For better results we use a collagen-stimulating product like Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C serum or skin lightener for pigmentation during the procedure. A small, handheld, pen-like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 12 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. Our needling pen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow needles to pierce the skin’s layer at 90 degrees and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing Vitamin C serum or Hyaluronic Acid are used to hydrate, heal, and protect the skin.
WHAT WILL I LOOK LIKE AFTER THE TREATMENT?
Most people will experience redness and mild swelling, similar to a mild sunburn, for 24-48 hours, and there may be minimal pin-point bleeding and/or bruising. Within a week or two, you will notice that your skin is smoother and more radiant looking but the full effects won’t be seen until a few months later.
WHAT IS THE DOWNTIME AFTER MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING TREATMENT?
The inflammatory reaction of the skin is extremely short and fades significantly within hours from redness to pinkish that may last for 12 to 48 hours. In order to reduce visible redness, we recommend hyaluronic acid after the procedure and protecting the skin with zinc-based sunblock. The use of mineral makeup is recommended after the procedure.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING?
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in topical preparation
- Stimulates circulation and collagen production
- Medical-grade titanium needles makes it non-allergenic to human tissue
- Cost-effective compared to other resurfacing procedures
- Can be performed on all skin types, including ethnic skin
- It can be used on all areas of the scalp, face, body including fragile skin like around eyes, mouth and neck
WHAT EFFECTS DOES THE MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING HAVE ON THE SKIN?
- Improves skin texture and reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- Stimulates tissue regeneration
- Disfiguring scars, especially acne scars, can be improved as new collagen fibers elevate the depressed scar tissue with the periphery skin
- Pore size reduction
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks
IS MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING PAINFUL?
Prior to the treatment, numbing cream can be applied to minimize pain that is felt during the procedure.
CAN MICRO-NEEDLING BE PERFORMED ON ANY SKIN COLOR?
Medical micro-needling is safe to use on all skin types and all skin colors. There is no risk of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED AND HOW OFTEN CAN MEDICAL MICRO MICRO-NEEDLING PROCEDURES BE REPEATED?
Micro-needling can be safely repeated every 4-6 weeks until you achieve the desired results. For collagen induction we recommend starting with 3 treatments, but with a minimum separation time of 4 to 6 weeks between treatments. For scar reduction an average of 3 to 6 treatments is recommended. The number of treatments required will depend on how each individual responds to the treatments, and the extent of the damage at the beginning. Micro-needling can be used on all skin parts of the body (neck, décolleté, arms, legs, etc.). Most people will begin to see results after the very first appointment.
RISKS OF POST-OP INFECTIONS?
Since the tiny pricking channels close within one hour, and provided the procedure is done under clinical conditions, post-op infections are extremely unlikely.
WHAT SHOULD I AVOID ON MY SKIN AFTER TREATMENT?
To ensure the right healing environment, for 2-3 days do not use AHA’s (glycolic Acid), retinol, acidic, or “active” ingredients. Exposure to sun should also be avoided, or zinc-based sunblock should be used.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING PROCEDURE?
There are virtually no negative side effects, and none have ever been reported in over 150,000 procedures performed worldwide.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR MEDICAL MICRO-NEEDLING?
Medical micro-needling can be safely performed on all skin types and all skin colors, as the epidermis and, in particular, melanocytes in the basal area are left intact. There is minimal risk of pigment change or post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Skin micro-needling can treat sensitive and fragile areas that are difficult to treat with other procedures. These areas include the eyes, the neck, and the back of the hands.
HOWEVER, IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR PATIENTS WHO:
- Have used Accutane (isotretinoin) within the last three months
- Have open wounds, cuts, or abrasions on the skin
- Have had radiation treatment to the skin within the last year
- Have any kind of current skin infection, condition, herpes simplex in the area to be treated
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
- Have any history of keloid or hypertrophic scars or poor wound healing
HOW MUCH DOES THE TREATMENT COST?
- This is assessed during a complimentary consultation. A treatment is mapped out for each client and the cost can be assessed at this time.
- This is based on a client’s unique requirements and the result that is desired.
Medical micro-needling may be combined with other treatments as a package and the overall cost will be discussed during our complimentary consultation.